Thursday, November 24, 2005

Living in the Moment

Thought-wise, I am a time traveller. I am either living in the past or thinking about the future. It is rare for me to completely focus on the present moment. It drives me a little crazy because I know that I should be savouring what I am doing. Instead, I find that I have entire days when I cannot think of a single thing that I did. I just fall into bed at the end of the day, completely exhausted and my mind racing, with absolutely no time spent living that day. How frustrating. Yesterday morning, I took some mommy/baby time with LilyMab. The whole point of mommy/baby time is to focus on spending time with the baby. Basically, I spend the whole morning in bed, ignore the household chores, and play with LilyMab, and feed her, and nap together. After all, she won't be this tiny forever. Now, if only I could infuse all of my daily activities with this level of concentration...think how much pleasure could be involved in solely concentrating on the feel of water against you in the shower instead of reviewing everything you need to get done that day. I really need to do more of this, experience pleasure in each moment of the day. Maybe it's time to start meditating again.

6 Comments:

At 9:17 a.m., Blogger Library Lady said...

You description of mommy/baby time makes me want one... A baby... Not mommy/baby time with you, Ash. No offense, of course, but just... You know... That could be weird.

 
At 10:34 p.m., Blogger librarychik said...

I think that you raise a very good point, Ash. It is too easy to lose the moment that you are in to the moments you are anticipating. I believe it is all about balance and awareness. And you have just raised my awareness... thank you!

BTW: Library Lady, sorry the eye creeps you out, but I kinda like it. And I am watching... Mwhaaaaaa

 
At 1:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ash. Wow, it's weird calling you that because I know who you truly are....I must say, I like your little website thing you've go going on here, it's a cool way to keep in touch and know what's going on in your life. I bet you're thinking "who is this person?" Well if Heathen Yak doesn't give it away, then how about "it's dark, I like that in a room." It sounds like you're going through some major life adjustments and I'm sorry I'm not right there with you. I have been reminiscing about university lately. I tell people all the time about my amazing roommate who could whip off A papers the night before they were due. That's not all I reminisce (terrible spelling) about, it's just impressive. I cannot even imagine my life without you in it. Yes there are other friends who walked the same road with us, but you and I stayed together for 4 years, through good times and rough times. We laughed, we cried, we developed our own language. I can still see you lipsyncing to Billy Joel while you studied and wore the enormous headphones. And the humpback whales! I guess I just want you to know that despite some of the stupid insensitive things I have done in the past, you have never been just fringe to me. You are central to me. You are one of my favorite sweaters in the closet of life. :) I am so proud of you and all the things you have done in your life and the adversities you have overcome. I am so blessed to know you. I am always here, just a yeep away.

Love Me

 
At 6:03 p.m., Blogger LilyMab said...

Thanks, Heathen Yak. I had almost completely repressed the memories of lipsynching Billy Joel...I have to go die an embarrassing death now. But it's heard to stop giggling as I write this, too.

Love you back. :)

 
At 6:05 p.m., Blogger LilyMab said...

PS It's obviously hard to type as I giggle as well...interesting typo.

 
At 6:18 p.m., Blogger LilyMab said...

I can't stop commenting today...I just have to note that Heathen Yak is the most awesome user-name ever, but then I am a huge fan of the heathen yak.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home