Saturday, March 17, 2007

Theatrics

Thammuz and I had a date night tonight. We went out to the movies and I finally got to see "Music and Lyrics." Going out to a movie is a rare occurrence for the two of us - at least if we want to see anything together. Date nights are pretty rare since we have difficulty getting a sitter. My folks are already pinch-hitting for us tons with our work schedules, so it seems pretty selfish to ask for date-night sitting too. Luckily, it's been a pretty quiet month, so we didn't feel too bad about asking for a favour tonight. Plus, Monkey is at his Mom's, so they only had to watch the baby for us.

The weird thing about going to the movies here is the deja-vu I get everytime I set foot in the theatre. It's a bit strange to walk into the place you worked when you were seventeen...that's the fun part about going back to live in the place you grew up. I remember serving the popcorn. I know what the projection room looks like and I've walked behind the screen. I can point out the exact spot on the theatre wall where a certain someone who shall remain "Nameless" hucked an M&M at me so hard that there is still a dent in the wall. I can remember the police stopping us one night when a group of us were scaling the outside wall, climbing brick over brick. Not sure they believed that we were removing a hornet's nest. Luckily, the theatre manager was one of the climbing party. I can remember being chased for six blocks by a certain usher wielding a broom when I teased him one too many times. I've even seen the baptismal font they still have in the basement from when the theatre used to be a church. That place is insane with memories.

It's mostly strange for me because even though I am now married with two kids, I'm pretty sure I'm still that same seventeen year old. It's just rare that I get a slap-in-the-face reminder of it. Sometimes, when the grown-up responsibilities get too crazy, it's nice to know that there's a piece of me that's still seventeen and ready to go to the movies.

1 Comments:

At 11:33 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the theatre! Remember staff pizza parties on the stage? Breaking into the attic for the first time? The perk of having our families see movies free? Those were the days. I agree, sometimes I forget I'm a thirty-something, as I stick myself into the middle of the summer of '95. One of the best summers ever. The lake, the thunderstorms, the 'duct. Good times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home