Monday, January 23, 2006

Talking Politics...

is something that's sure to annoy others no matter where you are. It's the universal "let's start an argument" topic. That said, nothing depresses me more than a Canadian election. Let's face it, we have voted into office a man who held conversations with his stuffed dog as well as a whole lot of drunks (cheers!). I mean, half the country is too apathetic to vote, so the results are based upon the following kinds of people:

  • Political zealots who are too narrow minded to be open to anything but their sole psychotic agenda (they can often be found listening to talk radio stations that support their views)
  • People who tow the party line even if their party suddenly decides to support mandatory brain removal (my granddad voted - insert lameass party here - so that's good enough for me!)
  • People who vote for one party simply to prevent another candidate from getting into office or who vote a tiny party as a protest (I don't agree with this party, but anything is better than that so-and-so)
  • And finally, the extremely small number of dutiful Canadians who actually read the party platforms, listen to the different candidates for their region and vote based on an informed opinion (yes, these people exist, but they are hard to find).

For those of you that don't think elections matter, that's your call. I would, however, point out that voting is a privilege that not all human beings are granted. I just hate to see people voted into office that seem destined to revoke the rights and freedoms that we take for granted....like voting (koff, koff). It's happening in other countries I could name. I hope we don't let it happen here.

For more info: http://www.cbc.ca/canadavotes/

End rant, end scene...

5 Comments:

At 9:55 p.m., Blogger Violette said...

Oh yes. It's very sad when people won't change what party they vote for, no matter what. I grew up in a riding that went the same way EVERY election, no matter what. Even when everyone knew that the guy they were electing was a total jerk that abused his wife, they still elected him, just because that's what they had done for the last god knows how many years.

 
At 8:41 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think people should talk about politics. I grew up with the whole "never discuss politics, religion or money" rule, and though I do agree with keeping money discussions to a minimum as people tend to base their worth as a human being on their paycheck and religion, or lack thereof, is a personal decision, but can be a very volatile topic (witness the outrage of The Da Vinci Code). Anyway, I think people should talk about politics. What have we been watching on tv for the past month and a half? Politics - people up on tv in debates expressing their views. Communication is key if this country is to stand united, which at this point it's not really, I mean okay, we're united against terrorist leaders in other parts of the world, but here in Canada it's all about "get your hands off my money", and "you don't respect my culture". Well if we communicated maybe we could find out what is important to our neighbours, what is important to the elderly population, the 18 years olds that voted for the first time yesterday. I will continue to talk politics without shame, I believe in certain things and I voted according to what I believe in. I realize my little party that I voted for doesn't have a lot of power right now, and maybe never will, but I cannot in good conscience throw my vote to the Conservatives just because that's what my family does and because I live in Alberta. I don't agree with everything Stephen Harper has said, but then Paul Martin is no saint either. I am hoping that with the current set up in the government there will be a good balance of views and that people will work together to do what's best for everyone, not just a few people who can yell really loud. I don't know if Stephen Harper is the right man for the job (well I think we need a woman Prime Minister...) but time will tell. What Paul Martin was doing wasn't working. The fact is, at this point in Canadian politics, there are only 2 major parties that could rule the country, it's just a trade off.

Having said all that, try to remember that we are very fortunate to live in Canada and that our politicians, though far from perfect, are not dictators. I believe that the people that run this country do have good intentions, it's just a matter of staying focused. We can do our part by staying informed, voicing our opinions to our representatives, communicating with each other. And most importantly VOTE! In every election, every time, democracy won't work if the people don't participate.

 
At 11:20 a.m., Blogger LilyMab said...

Yeah, okay, money and religion are also "let's start an argument" topics. But hey, I grew up with my Dad - it says a lot that I was there all last night and did not once discuss the election except to say that I voted. Run, run like the wind! (Love my Dad, but politics are scary with him).

Thanks, Yak, for reinforcing the central sentiment, though...vote! And thank heaven for minority governments 'cause I'm not fond of any of the political parties right now...at least this way they should balance each other out.
PS Hope this comment makes sense, if not I'll repost later...there's a party in my living roon right now.

 
At 11:21 a.m., Blogger LilyMab said...

living roon...nice.

 
At 11:44 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, different topic. I taped a very cool documentary on Stonehenge on Sunday. This group of people rebuilt Stonehenge using styrofoam, painted, carved a bit to look like the stones and they set it up not far from the original. Then they did all sorts of experiments, acoustic, winter and summer solstice sun (they used a huge spotlight to simulate the winter solstice and to account for the change in the earth's axis since Stonehenge was first built). They also consulted with all sorts of experts about how the stones were transported, what Stonehenge was possibly used for, if there are similarities in other cultures, etc. It was very good. If you get a chance to see it I highly recommend it. It's called "Stonehenge: The Ultimate Experiment".

Yak

 

Post a Comment

<< Home