Friday, December 16, 2005

Disappointed

I've been invited to a Christmas Gala. I have never before been invited to anything with the word 'gala' in the title, so I was kind of excited. There are cocktails, followed by dinner, followed by a dance and it's all formal and everything. It sounds so grown-up. I know, I know...I have two kids and a mortgage, so I should be used to being grown-up, but up until last April, I was just a university student living on my own in an apartment off of Whyte...so it's still a little shiny and new and confusing for me. Anyway, as the brand-spanking-new librarian in town, the library board wrangled me an invitation to this event so that I could mix, mingle, and hobnob with city council.

So what happens? This morning my babysitter called in sick, so I haven't had a lot of time to get ready for tonight...I've been too busy chasing after an overly hyper (is it Christmas yet?) four year old and taking care of a fussy baby to spend time doing my hair and nails or trying to find a dress in my closet that actually fits my post-baby body. My little boy was fairly disappointed too since today was the dayhome's Christmas party and it was cancelled. I've been pacifying him with cheese sandwiches and coloring pictures of dragons. To top it off, Jake found out that one of his managers is sick, so he'll have to work an extra long shift to cover...meaning that my Prince Charming isn't coming to the ball. This thing is looking a little more intimidating with no date. I know it's just a stupid party, but I'm pretty disappointed since it was one of the first big 'go out nights' since the baby arrived. Life does not suck, I should be cheerful and merry...but right now, I kind of wish Cinderella wasn't hogging the fairy godmothers. Some of us working Moms need a little help too. The only thing left is for my parents to have an emergency and not be able to take the kids tonight...I better go find some wood to knock on now that I've typed that.

3 Comments:

At 4:42 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear your evening isn't shaping up the way you planned. Perhaps you should scrap the whole thing, still take the kids to your mom's and then come home and order cheese pizza and watch Tommy Boy. The hell with it all!!! Fat guy in a little coat....

I'm sure you'll be fine tonight. If you do find it's too much you can always feign not feeling well and go home.

 
At 5:02 p.m., Blogger librarychik said...

Hey you, everything will be great, I have no doubt. It surely is intimidating to go on your own, but just pretend you are the AdvMan instructor (you know who I mean), who has made these kinds of events a part of a librarian's job description :-)

You will shine, shine, shine!!!


(have a ball)

 
At 10:33 p.m., Blogger LilyMab said...

Just when you start to feel a little depressed, someone goes and uses the name 'yak of honor' on your blog and you are forced to laugh helplessly for a good three minutes. Thanks, Yak-Chicka.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home