Sunday, March 12, 2006

Roleplaying, Paranoia, and the Worst Cold Ever

I'm having one of those scattered days when your mind goes a mile a minute and you keep thinking of things that are totally unrelated.

First up to bat: the world's worst cold. It must be bad, because it actually took out Jake. This is a guy who would probably try to go into work with an IV in his arm. He's a little bit hardcore when it comes to responsibility and his job. So, when he called a coworker to finish out his shift because he was feeling too crappy, I seriously considered calling the paramedics. The good news is that I am in the starting stages of the same cold, so I am certainly looking forward to feeling like he does in a couple of days. Woohoo! Meantime, I am on the chicken soup brigade.

Next up: roleplaying games. If you've read my profile, I do actually play roleplaying games. Dungeons & Dragons, Vampire, Rifts, and all the rest. Our gang gets together once a week or so to pretend to be other people. Roleplaying games (RPGs) seem to be a pasttime for people who wish they were creative writers...especially for the DungeonMasters/Storytellers. If Jake gave up his DnD addiction, not to mention his all-obsessing job (ah the fascination of management), I am sure that he could crank out a fantasy novel every six months. It's the same level of detail in his world. I spent all of last night crafting a new character for our upcoming gaming weekend...it's set in Jake's mythical world that he has spent the last 5-6 years creating. Move over, Tolkien, we have a new contender. Hopefully Agatha Pearl (my character) will be up to the challenge and won't die in a freak accident within the first hour of gaming. Oh - and in a side note - I have found my ultimate RPG. Welcome to Deliria: "an interactive urban fantasy...inspired by the works of Neil Gaiman, Emma Bull, Joss Whedon, and other postmodern fantasists." It's like chocolate trifle in an RPG form. Sweet...

Finally: safety issues. My parents picked up a high chair for Miss Mab at a garage sale. It looked kind of odd when we set her in it, all tilted forward. It supposedly has a recline position, so we went on the Net to find some instructions. Only, when we typed in the product name and model number, we got hit with a big fat recall notice. Since I am opposed to my baby dying in a freak high chair accident, we chose to throw the high chair in the dumpster. Good thing we have a back up (the Net says it's safe). However, I am now a little paranoid about potential safety hazards (what else has been recalled? - Augh!).

I will now retire to think good thoughts and plan some world domination with Mab and Dar. I think today's big adventure is a pixie hunt. Oh, and as a last hit of happy, the library's new paint job looks awesome. Finally, a kids' section of be proud of!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home