Sunday, February 26, 2006

Busy, Busy, Busy (meh)

So, I've had one of those weeks. First, we took a trip up to Calgary. I took a day off to go wedding dress shopping and, frankly, it wasn't all that fun. The first shop we went to, Yak and I were not really acknowledged. They were inundated with prom-goers and pretty dismissive of me and didn't even realize Yak was there. Not cool. The second shop kind of scared me. This shop ACKNOWLEDGED. They had a whole separate floor of bridal gowns, you had your own personal dress consultant, and they helped you put everything on. I'm not that girly, so it was a shock. They put me in this dress that was pretty spectacular...cap sleeves, full skirt, and mile long train. I seriously considered it to the point of almost purchasing it. It's hard to avoid the magnetism of a dress like that. It screams "bride" and you have people crying about how beautiful it is. However, the price tag was a reality check. In retrospect, it was good that I didn't get it. I mean, it was pretty beautiful, but it wasn't really me. It was a princess dress and, well, I'm just not a princess. The dress was wearing me, I was not wearing the dress. Also, after showing pics to my Mom, Jake's Mom, and the fabulous Miss Kendra, and yeah, I even gave in and got the groom's opinion (gasp)...not one of them really liked it. So, the search continues for the perfect dress. Bleah. I did buy my shoes though! (Yak, I will show you on the next trip up...probably in early March...sorry for chickening out on the big dress, but I really felt nervous about it, so it couldn't have been the right one).

Next up, the joy of work. I was supposed to work two days this week and ended up working four, one of which was a twelve-hour shift due to a board meeting. We had two people resign and everyone is pitching in to cover shifts. Kind of hellish, but productive. I also got to observe employee annual reviews and learned payroll and bill payments. Yup, I'm an administrator. It's been stressful, but I think it's going to be good.

Finally, today I had dinner with one of my closest friends from high school. She still lives here, but we hadn't really spoken in over five years. We'd pretty much lost touch mid-way through our undergrad degrees. It was a little surreal, but we managed to avoid re-hashing high school stories, so I think it went well.

After all that, it feels like I haven't really been home this week. My laundry corroborates this feeling...I have tons to do. I'm way behind in the book club reading too. Tomorrow is definitely a homebody day...and I'm going to call about joining the curling club. How kitschy is that?

1 Comments:

At 8:17 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit after some thought, I had serious reservations about the expensive dress as well. I was totally supportive of you whatever decision you made though. I hope your next shopping trip goes better. I can give the names of the other stores I found that just happened not to be open on Monday. Just remember in your quest for a dress and for the whole time you're planning your wedding, focus on what you want. Other people can give you opinions but they are not you and they cannot decide what is best for you. I loved the dress, I thought you looked absolutely beautiful in it, but it was your decision. I'm glad it all worked out and you are not regretting your decision. I'm positive your dress is out there and it won't break the bank!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home