Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Life or Something Like It

Well, I haven't been blogging much in the last couple weeks, but on the bright side it's because I've been doing more e-mailing and...gasp...spending time with my friends in person!

Things have been going fairly well around the house with the exception of some minor baby woes. Lil managed to have an allergic reaction on Friday. She had tried pretty well all the 'single' baby foods, so I gave her a mix on Thursday: apple, mango, kiwi. I don't know if it was the mango or the kiwi, but I woke up on Friday to find her crib in a huge mess. She was exorcist baby. Vomit on the crib, the sheets, her jammies, dried into her hair. I felt so guilty that she got that sick and I didn't even wake up. Jake insists that she probably didn't call me...just got sick and went back to sleep. Since I usually wake up if she breathes funny, this is probably true, but I still feel bad. I called into work and let my coworkers know that I was going to be a bit late...cleaning up baby puke takes time and I also had to make sure that her allergy attack wasn't going to get worse. Unfortunately, I forgot that I was supposed to go in early for a meeting with the board's finance committee. The smell of the baby puke must have clouded my brain. I remembered at 7:40 that I was supposed to be at the library for 8am at the latest. Good show. I managed to ge hold of the treasurer before she left the house, but I have no idea how long the board chair was waiting for me before he gave up and went home. Yay me - my first real meeting and I don't show up for it. I forwarded my presentation by e-mail later that day and left two apologetic phone calls, but I haven't managed to reschedule the meeting yet. Guess I'm still learning to balance the working Mommy act - and it's really causing me some stress. To top that off, Lil got the flu over the weekend and managed to transfer it to me. I was supposed to train a new employee yesterday and attend a night course in accounting...I made it through the morning before my body gave up on me. I'm out sick again today too, but I'm working my days off this week to make up for it.

On the bright side, my weekend was fantastic. Dev, Lex, and the fabulous Miss K came to visit. Miss K was bunking with her folks and the boys were staying with us. Now, having a houseful of guests may not sound too relaxing, especially with a sick baby on Mother's Day weekend, but I really didn't have to do anything except have fun playing rpgs and board games. The guys took care of the kids, let me sleep in, and even took me out for breakfast (and thanks to my super Mom and Dad who took the very sick baby so we could go out). It was really, really nice. I also got some pretty sweet Mother's Day presents. I got a bonsai tree from the whole family. Dar picked out bubblegum flavoured lipbalm and bright orange, pink, and iridescent purple nailpolish for me to wear. He is so cute. :) My folks got me a picture frame (soon to hold a picture of me and my kids) and my supercool mom-in-law got me an amazing pixie pin (it's all gold, crystals, and topazes...it's so pretty it made me cry). So, I was very spoiled. I just hope LilyMab doesn't pay back our guests by giving them this highly contagious flu bug.

As for the wedding plans, they are coming along. We've got the wedding and reception sites booked, the honeymoon booked, the wedding dress and bridesmaid dress has been ordered, we bought flowers and invitations, we picked out colours and decorative elements, and we have decided on favours. We've also managed to register at one store. We meet with the wedding coordinator (can't believe I have a coordinator) next week, so most of the other stuff should get figured out then. The only major things left are the kids' outfits, Jake's outfit, and the rings. Hurrah!

Plans are also underway to do some visiting in June. The schedule is still getting worked out, but I'm planning to go up to Calgary and maybe even to Edmonton depending on Jake's work schedule and how I feel about travelling with LilyMab by myself. It's a long trip and my girl is a little high maintenance, but I'm hoping to get around to everyone.

Anyway, that's my life right now...it's a long and convoluted posting...but that's the way I roll. :P

1 Comments:

At 12:14 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences on sick baby. Glad you had a good Mother's Day though. I'm sure balancing work and children isn't easy, but I think you're doing a great job. People just have to be flexible. I think the whole world needs to be more flexible, relax, take a deep breath....

Later, Yak

 

Post a Comment

<< Home