Saturday, May 06, 2006

Little Pools of Guilt...

Why is it that people feel the need to send little messages, in person, via e-mail, or anyway they can, that are solely designed to make other people feel bad? It seems to be a vicious circle. One person, usually unintentionally, slights a friend by not spending time with him/her, forgetting something important, or saying something stupid without realizing how stupid it actually is. The slighted friend then gets all cranky and irritated and, rather than talking to the person that has hurt them, feels the need to say something or send that person something that isn't specifically aimed at them or explicitly mean, but will just make them feel guilty. Why?

I have, on a few occasions, found myself to be the petty guilt-mongering friend that does this sort of thing. It's ridiculous. I'm tired of giving and receiving this kind of idiotic emotional garbage. If you are reading this, and you too have ever felt the need to make yourself feel morally superior to someone else by beating them down with guilt, stop it right now. Stop cutting yourself off from the rest of the world, suck it up, realize that everyone makes mistakes, and then send out love instead of hate. You'll be a lot happier of a person if you stop making others feel guilty and strive to make the world around you happier instead.

Thank you. Blessed Be.



Note: Rant inspired by person who, despite the fact that we haven't been friends in years, still occasionally feels the need to send me irritating mass e-mail that seems designed to remind me that I am, to them, the biggest b*tch in the universe. Today, I decided to just block sender. It's not worth my aggravation.

2 Comments:

At 9:57 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wise stickman figure in an email message the other day taught me, "Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down." I think selecting block on some email addresses increases the risk of having cheerful friends. You deserve the cheerful ones!

 
At 10:08 p.m., Blogger librarychik said...

Way to go... I should do that too. What a great idea. Like you I have "friends" who only send me really stupid forwards and echain mail. I hate it.

I with you Ash.... Rah Rah!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home