Thursday, June 22, 2006

Summer

With everything happening in my life lately, I've been lost in memories. Weekends at my Aunt and Uncle's farm; camping trips with friends and family; chasing thunderstorms across the prairie at night. My extended family, especially on my Dad's side, is really close. It's really made me think about the kind of family life I want to create for my own kids.

I'd really like to rent a cabin...in the woods or on a lake. Play cards and crib, scrabble, monopoly. Make lemonade and barbeque. Teach the kids how to fish, not that I really know how. Let them run wild with sand in their shorts and mismatched flip-flops. Make it a big group thing...have family and friends so that it's a big mob scene half the time and quiet peaceful moments the rest of it, you know? Not too many of our friends and fam have kids yet...I'm the first of the grandkids in my Dad's fam. So, it might take the kids awhile to get playmates, but half of our friends are big kids anyway.

These are the kind of things I look forward to. It's just how I grew up. I think I'll be sending an e-mail out in the next little while. Maybe see how many of my loved ones might be interested in kicking in to rent a cabin for a week next summer.

How about you guys? What do you look forward to in the summertime? What kind of things make you smile?

4 Comments:

At 9:43 a.m., Blogger Library Lady said...

Thinking about YMCA Camp Wanakita.
The smell of a charcoal BBQ.
Mint chocolate chip after dinner.
The noise tree frogs make when it's hotter than H-E-double hockey sticks.
Cold blue pools when it's hotter than H-E-double hockey sticks.
6 rather than 2 hour car rides to Muskoka (because of the traffic).
S'mores.
The smell of suntan lotion (although I'm told when I have kids I'll start hating that smell because you literally can't leave the house without slathering it on your babies...)

 
At 11:56 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I didn't have a very happy childhood, but I managed to salvage a few good memories of summer.

-prairie sunsets and sunrises, I have seen pictures of sunsets/rises all over the world, I have even been to Cuba and watched the sun set on the ocean, but nothing compares to a fiery prairie sunset/rise over fields
-that forlorn sound cows make, usually in the evening
-strangely enough, coyotes, even now as I live on the edge of the city I find the sound of coyotes a bit scary but familiar and comforting (as long as my kitty is safely inside...)
-the sound of farm tractors running, though that was closer to the end of summer and into the fall
-birds, robins, meadowlarks, hawks
-spending 1-2 weeks in Med. Hat with my grandparents and cousins, my cousin and I spent every minute together, going to Med. Hat stampede, helping grandparents in their garden, going shopping, renting Stand By Me and watching it 100 times until even my grandpa knew the words, and the kind of heat that makes your cheap k-mart shoes stick to the pavement
-camping in BC with my mom, step-dad and step-brother (let's hear it for tent trailers)
-sneaking my Nancy Drew book into bed to read because it was still light out enough that I could read, though I was supposed to be sleeping
-Good Host ice tea (not so much anymore)
-hamburgers and hot dogs
-sunburns that kept you up for 3 nights because you couldn't bear to lie down
-dirty feet!!!! (from running around in the grass and dirt)
-running through the sprinkler with my babysitter's kids
-taking Barbie and all the paraphernalia outside on an old sleeping bag to play
-Calaway Park

Let's hear it for summer!

Yak

 
At 3:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

More summer.

What I like about summer now as an adult:

-wearing shorts and tank tops
-wearing sandals
-driving is easier
-being outside is easier all the way around
-birds
-sunlight
-bbq smells
-fewer people on transit during the summer
-bright summer fashion colors
-baby animals
-blockbuster movies at the theatres
-the contrast of a vibrant green tree against a vibrant blue sky
-getting in the car and not needing defrost, it's already warm!
-no heavy coats
-car stays clean for several weeks

Three cheers for summer!

Yak

 
At 7:50 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well in two weeks I'll be spending the better part of 6 days in a cabin with my Man. It's not on the lake, but it is out of the way in the interior of BC. Course, the rest of his family will be staying at the big house during the same time. We'll be able to escape to the cabin whenever we need some quiet time. Looking forward to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home