Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Harder Than It Looks...

When it comes to the movies, can you name five people whose movies that you would see without reservation? It's harder than it sounds. Five people in this industry that, no holds barred, you buy what they sell? Here's my picks:

  • Neil Gaiman: whether he's the screenwriter (Mirrormask), executive producer (Beowolf), or the movie's based on one of his books (Stardust) - if he's involved, I'm going to watch it.

  • Holly Black: She has only made one movie, the upcoming Spiderwick Chronicles, but I have high hopes. A very talented author, she is the film's screenwriter and producer.
  • Wendy Froud: mostly involved in special effects. She was behind many of the creatures in Labyrinth, the Dark Crystal, and she created Yoda. The woman rocks.
  • Tim Burton: what can I say? This guy is an amazing director. I'll watch pretty much anything he puts out.
  • Johnny Depp: the only actor on my list. It's rare to find an actor that you can unequivocally say that you will watch any movie that they appear in...but Johnny Depp is one of those rare actors. I'll even watch pure crap just to see what he does with the role.

So, who's on your list? Even if you don't have five, I'm interested to find out who makes your movies magic!

6 Comments:

At 7:18 a.m., Blogger Library Lady said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:19 a.m., Blogger Library Lady said...

Slightly different than yours, in that I've chosen a genre:

1. Anything created by M. Night Shyamalan.

2. Anything staring Will Ferrell.

3. Anything period-ish, i.e. Sense and Sensibility, Marie Antoinette, Elizabeth

 
At 8:45 a.m., Blogger Jenifer said...

1. Anything produced by Ghibli. I'll forgive the Howl's debacle since they did make Nausica.

2. Anything with Johnny Depp (though I won't shell out money to see P of the C 3 in theaters).

 
At 8:54 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I have to agree with Ash about Johnny Depp, he is amazing. I also agree with Library Lady about M. Night Shyamalan...his movies scare the holy crap out of me but it's worth it. And often there is a bit of social commentary that I like to analyze. I also love Will Smith. Though I haven't seen Ali, I think I've seen all his other movies. Action, comedy, dramas, it's all good. I also like Sandra Bullock - she has a tendency to be in good movies. And Peter Jackson has proven to be a quality film maker. King Kong wasn't my favorite movie, but at least you can be sure of good quality. And I also love love love natural disaster movies. The ones that are made for tv are a little cheesy with the special effects and the zoom in zoom out camera stuff but I love natural disaster movies. The Core, The Day After Tomorrow (one of my faves), Twister, I love it. And fantasy movies are good - Bridge to Terabithia was really good, usually movies based on kids books are good.

People to avoid like the plague: anything involving Clint Eastwood, whether he's directing, producing, acting, whatever, run like the wind. I haven't seen Million Dollar Baby, and I'm sure it has it's good points, but I have had bad experiences with Clint Eastwood movies. Halley Barry, Catwoman, 'nuff said. Another actor to avoid...Tom Cruise. Love Top Gun, but that was a long time ago.

 
At 5:43 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

(First off ... Jenifer, what's wrong with "Howl"?)
Hmmm ... will watch no matter what?

1. Quentin Tarantino. I have missed some of his, mostly for not taking the opportunities as opposed to actively avoiding it.

2. Gotta say it, or Ash will call me out on it. Brad Pitt.

3. Rob Zombie. I'm not even a fan of the Halloween movies, but I will watch his version.

4. Pinhead's my man, so the Hellraiser movies are on this list. They're coming out faster than I can watch, though. Being the only 1 out of 4 in the family who'd watch them makes it hard to arrange viewing time. :)

5. I don't know if there is any other "gonna watch no matter what" people in the movie industry. Johnny Depp and Tim Burton, maybe. Sadly, I almost have to list George Lucas since I did go and see all three prequels in the theatre, though I don't want to include him on principle.

 
At 9:44 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

My picks for movies I buy just for who's in it or who made it, based purely on name recognition:

1) Gina Gershon

2) The Pretty Woman herself, Julia Roberts

3) Kevin Smith

4) Harrison Ford

5) The "mockumentry" types made by and starring Christopher Guest

And just because I'm pretty impressed with the range and variety of pieces the next two people have been involved with, my next two picks would be:

6) Parker Posey (the bad ass female vampire boss in Blade Trinity but also the reluctant heroine/spy in Fay Grim... which I have yet to see, but will)

7) Jane Lynch, who ALWAYS plays the freaky sex lady in anything she's involved in - the butch dog trainer in Best In Show, the sex cult leader in A Mighty Wind, the freaky store manager in 40 Year Old Virgin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home